It’s no secret that maintaining a clean roof exterior will extend the life of your shingles, but what exactly are the signs we should be looking out for? Which organisms and type of debris will cause the most harm to the asphalt shingles adorning the top of your home? We’ll tackle the worst offenders below.

Algae

Mostly found in the hot, humid areas of the country, algae are some of the worst organisms to compromise rooftop cleanliness. What starts as a dark streak down your shingles can soon grow to become a nasty green. On the bright side, algae does not grow roots, so the structural integrity of your roof will not be compromised; however, while algae may not inflict long-lasting damage, it does look rather unsightly and can drive down the resale value of your home if left untreated for long periods of time.

Moss

Not always recognized as a threat, moss may remind you of a fairy tale from yesteryear, transforming your home into a quaint cottage that is welcoming and inviting. But alas, moss is far more dangerous than its algae brethren for multiple reasons: First, unlike algae, moss will grow roots. Over time, these roots will make their way underneath any sort of roofing material, including metal, clay, and concrete. Over time, you’ll notice shingles starting to cup and lift throughout the rooftop. This leads to space underneath the shingles themselves, opening your home up to water damage and wood rot. Before you know it, that simple roof cleaning to take care of this small problem has now turned into a multi-thousand dollar roof replacement. Who knew that something so seemingly harmless could wind up costing you thousands of dollars?

Mold

It doesn’t take a scientist to know the adverse health conditions that come with mold. Mold spores can wreak havoc on one’s immune system, especially those of us with pre-existing respiratory conditions such as asthma. What makes mold even more dangerous is the fact that it feeds off dead organic matter. Remember the tar that was used when your roof was assembled? It’s a perfect source of the aforementioned organic treats that mold and fungi feast on to survive. Eating through the granules of your shingles will disable your roof’s ability to protect against damaging UV rays, thus heating your home to dramatic proportions in the hot summer months. Not only will you be spending a fortune to cool off, but these spores can eventually make their way into your home, posing a health risk to everyone inside.

In any event, excessive mold growth is something that should be treated sooner rather than later. As a general rule, all of the above-mentioned organisms should be handled properly once you start observing signs of their presence. Waiting any longer than you have to may not only have damaging effects on your wallet, but on yours and your family’s health, as well. The best way to get rid of these pests and prevent them from coming back is by letting a top-notch professional roof cleaning service take care of it.

In the Vancouver, B.C, Area? Talk to Diamond Clean today!